How We Use Your Data
USE OF YOUR INFORMATION
What we will do when you apply:
We will search your record at credit reference and fraud prevention agencies, which will include information about anyone with whom you have, or have had, joint personal financial arrangements such as joint accounts or have made joint credit applications (a “financial associate”). It may be your spouse or partner (not a business partner). We may also, in certain limited circumstances, if you are a director or partner in a small business check on your business.
If you give us false or inaccurate information and we identify fraud, we will record this with fraud prevention agencies. Law enforcement agencies may access and use this information.
For the purposes of making the credit application process more efficient, we will use a scoring or other automated decision-making system to assess your application and to verify your identity.
What the credit reference agencies will do with your personal information:
Whether or not this application proceeds, the credit reference agency will place a record of our search on your credit file. This record (but not our name) will be seen by other organisations when you apply for credit in the future. A large number of applications within a short period of time could affect your ability to obtain credit. Whether or not this application proceeds, the agencies will link your records and those of your financial associate(s), including any previous and subsequent names. These links will remain on your and their files until you or they tell the agency you are no longer financially linked and the agency accepts this.
The agencies will supply us with credit information, such as information relating to your previous applications, the conduct of accounts in your and your financial associate’s name, fraud prevention information and public information such as County Court judgments, bankruptcies and publicly available information from the Electoral Register.
How we and third parties use the credit agency information:
Some of your personal information which is held by the credit reference and fraud prevention agencies will be disclosed to us and other organisations to, for example:
- prevent fraud and money laundering, for example by checking details on:
- your applications for credit or credit related activity;
- your proposals and claims for all types of insurance;
- job applicants and employees;
- recover debts that you owe and trace your whereabouts;
- manage credit accounts and other facilities;
- verify your identity;
- make decisions on credit, insurance and other facilities, about you, your financial associate(s), members of your household or your business; and
- carry out statistical analysis to help with decisions about credit and account management.
We and other organisations may access and use, from other countries, the information
recorded by fraud prevention agencies.
What we will also do with your personal information when you have a credit agreement with us:
We will add to your record with the credit reference agencies details of your credit agreement with us, the payments you make under it, any default or failure to keep its terms and any change of your name or address.
How we use your personal information
As for the section above where we explained how your credit information is used, we also set out below the legal basis which we consider applies to how we use your other personal information. Your personal information will be used for the purposes explained below on the basis of our Legitimate Interests, Our Legal Obligations and Your Contract.
We may use your personal information (including details of how you conduct your account) to:
- process and administer your loan application;
- operate and manage your account, including resolving any complaints about products and services and contacting you in relation to such complaints;
- check details on other credit applications you make to us;
- assess your suitability for similar product offers in the future;
- to analyse trends and customer journeys in using and accessing our products and services which would allow us to develop and improve products that might interest you (we may do this using your personal information or anonymised data); and
- contact you to obtain feedback about our products and services and, subject to obtaining your consent where this is a required as a lawful basis in the section below, to carry out market research.
Subject to obtaining your consent where required under data protection laws, we may share your information with organisations who act on our behalf, or who introduced you to us, for any of these purposes.
We may also use your personal information for any other reasonable, fair and lawful purpose notified to you from time to time, provided that this use is proportionate and compatible with the reason your information was collected in the first place.
If you have supplied an email address or mobile telephone number to us we may use these to contact you in order to provide you with information about your account.
By consenting to receive news, offers and promotions from us by email, you are agreeing for us to use your contact information to inform you about other products and services offered by us. This is separate to your credit application and you are free to withhold your consent to receiving any marketing information (and this will have no impact on your credit application).
You can ask us to stop sending marketing and/or promotional messages at any time by clicking the links in any marketing emails we send you or by writing to our Customer Service Team at Hitachi Capital Vehicle Solutions, Kiln Road, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 2NU.