Increasing Ginsters' fleet efficiency and achieving 99% fleet availability
Improve fleet availability, cut maintenance costs and operate a smaller and more effective fleet
Changing a long-held approach to the way in which the company serviced and maintained their fleet
Introduction of a national repairer network and a rigorous servicing and maintenance programme
How we worked together
The brief from Ginsters
Ginsters is the no.1 supplier of savoury pastry products in the UK. Its fleet of 162 vehicles deliver to motorways, petrol station forecourts, convenience stores and major high street multiples across the UK.
Hitachi Capital Vehicle Solutions was awarded the contract to fund and manage Ginsters’ fleet of refrigerated delivery vans in October 2011. Shortly after winning the contract, a detailed review of the servicing and maintenance programme for the fleet was undertaken. The review identified a number of opportunities to make improvements, increase efficiencies and make savings for Ginsters.
A three-part solution was delivered
- Moving from a mobile repair service to using a network of trusted garages provided a more efficient and cost effective solution
- Fridge repair providers were consolidated to a single supplier, resulting in savings and a quicker turnaround of repairs
- An improved vehicle maintenance and servicing programme coupled with weekly mileage reports resulted in reduced downtime and the removal of uneconomical ‘spare’ vehicles
- Hitachi Capital were able to save Ginsters around £27,758 in the first year by moving to a national network of repairers
- Savings of around £11,136 per year have been made with the move to a sole-supplier for their fridge repairs
- The average number of vehicles off the road at any one time has been reduced from fifteen to just three vehicles, giving them 99% fleet availability
- Ginsters has reduced its number of spare vehicles by 40%, resulting in savings by running a smaller and more efficient fleet